HOMEABOUT MERESUMETUTORIALSMY FAVES

Thursday, January 12, 2012

New Years Slumber Layout


Good evening fellow scrappers! Today's page is one that I made for the January 1st challenge going on over at Once Upon A Sketch (OUAS). The challenge is to scrap how you spend New Years.

The journaling is hidden behind the photos. More on this in a few.

This is my husband sleeping on New Year's Eve. :-) This is how we usually spend it due to his demanding job. He's pretty much 24/7 hour production support for his company & it's very common for him to work entire nights, holidays, weekends etc. New Year's is no exception. So it's a joy for me to watch him sleep when he actually gets the chance to get a good night's sleep on a holiday.

I've used the Dreamer collection by 7 Dots Studio, a lot of stamping & many different embellishments for this page.

I'll also be submitting this page to the first Case File going on over at Color...Stories...Inspiration (C.S.I). Couldn't help but play along with their first 'case'. The whole concept behind this new site is just too cool to resist!

This is what the first case file is based on. It's Johnny Depp...enough said! lol

Here's the sketch provided by OUAS the page is based on.

I used ribbon along with a string of pearl beads to really give this page some dimension. The large gold leaves are by Prima. The mulberry flowers are from my stash. I once again used a tiny glass vial on my page. Along with a metal pen nib by Tim Holtz. I filled the vial with small black glass beads & wrapped a bit of hemp cord around it. I tucked a couple of tags from the Dreamer collection behind the vial & the pen nib.

I also used half of a crochet doily...you can see it peeking underneath the cluster of embellies.

A close up of one of the chipboard keys. These keys are by Dusty Attic. I used a Gold Paint Dabber by Ranger on the keys & dried them with a heat gun. To give the keys that 'stone' look just heavily apply the paint dabber on them so that little globs of paint are left behind.

Here's a close up of the waterfall journaling. You can find a tutorial for this technique here.

Being able to journal the story behind my husbands hectic schedule and why it's actually a pleasure to see him sleep on New Year's required some extensive story telling. I needed a way to document all of this & I didn't really want to store it behind the layout & on the layout it would take up too much room. So I leveraged the concept behind the waterfall card for this technique. This is also a great way to display different photos in a condensed matter.

Here's the waterfall journaling half-way out. I printed the journaling on transparency.

In this photo the journaling is completely pulled out.

Finally a closeup of my stamping. The script stamp & the grid stamp are by Tim Holtz. The script stamp is from the Mini Ornates stamp set & the grid is from the Ultimate Grunge set. The splatter stamps are by Recollections. I found this stamp set at my local Michaels. These stamps have almost become a trademark of mine! I've used them in just about all of my pages lately. I'm in love with them! lol

Thanks to all of you who stop by! I appreciate you taking the time to visit.

Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. Very ingenious! Also very nice you did a layout on him and his dedication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, inspiring, awesome and now I'm a new stalker... can't wait to see more... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, Kay, that layout is adorable. Love the techniques and your details!
    Thank you for playing along at OUAS!
    ~Gerry~

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome! i've been thinking about incorporating waterfall element into some layout, and you did a wonderful job! very creative and the hidden journaling is so cool! thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful and WOW layout....Do you mind to share how you take a very good lo photo?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your layout is impressive!!! I love the waterfall, the stamping and the way you used these bold colors!Thanks for sharing it with us at OUAS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this page! Love the colors, love the details, love how you did the journaling....it's wonderful! Thank you for playing along with us at OUAS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I really love this lo! Awesome details and journaling! Tks. for playing along with us at OUAS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful page and I really love how you incorporated your hidden journalling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool layout!!!! Creative and colorful!!!! Fantastic job! Thanks for playing along with us at OUAS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a really beautiful layout! So much to love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cool ! I love everything about it !!! Love the colors and your take on journaling !!
    Thank you for playing along with us as OUAS!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thank you for stopping by!