HOMEABOUT MERESUMETUTORIALSMY FAVES

Thursday, February 20, 2014

'Precious' Altered Clock

So this is a first for me.  I finally decided to alter a Tim Holtz clock.  I think it came out OK for my very first try.  I ended up playing around with it for two evenings--but I finally got it to look how I had 'envisioned' it in my head.

I made this project for the CHA Authentique booth since I've used Authentique's 'Precious' line to make all the embellishments that decorate the clock.  I wanted to use it as a frame for a photo taken at my son's first birthday photo session.  I love this picture of my son--he looks just like a 'little man' in this one!
The clock ended up having a really cool 'frosty' looking texture.  I achieved this by first priming the entire clock with gesso.  TIP: if you decide to completely paint your clock, I suggest you take it apart.  I ended up 'borrowing' some of my husbands tools to remove the front glass & the bells.  This made it much easier to cover the clock completely with my mediums.

Once the gesso dried I applied a thick coat of Martha Stewart's Terra Cotta paint in White.  This paint has a sand-like texture to it that I really liked.  Next to give it a bit of color, I took a medium sized paint brush & randomly applied Mint Julip Pearlz from Shimmerz on it.  Finally once it was all dry I applied a coat of Martha Stewart's Frost Paint which is a sort of sealant with a touch of glimmer to it.  I love the effect the combination of all these mediums gave me!

From the start I knew I wanted something hanging from the clock's bells.  Charms, ribbons, tags...I just didn't know what I wanted.  In the end I took some of the sticker elements from the 'Precious' collection & with Glossy Accents adhered them to a couple of Tim Holtz Fragments that I've had in my stash for an eternity plus one.  I then attached the charms with jump rings onto a Tim Holtz swivel clasp--added a little teddy bear charm on top & hooked it from one of the clock's bells and ta-da!  My vision became a reality! 
Three different dies were used to make the hot air balloon, spiral flowers & butterfly.  Aren't those spiral flowers cute!  Note to Self:  I really need to make more of these for my projects in the future! 

With hot glue I adhered a string of mint green pearls around the front of my clock.
Tim Holtz is all over my clock it seems.  I've used his Tattered Floral die to create this large flower.  I combined acrylic, vellum & designer paper onto my flower.  I love adding acrylic/transparencies into my flowers--it gives them a different effect/look.  I have a tutorial on my blog showing how I decorated the edges of the acrylic petal so that it stands out more & how to create flowers with the use of transparencies.  You can find the tutorial here if interested. 


The inside of the clock is decorated with some frosty netting that I had in my stash.  I believe I bought this netting around Christmas--the netting is frosty & covered in glitter--half of the glitter is still sitting on the floor of my scrap room!  I scrunched up a bit of the netting & adhered it with some double sided sticky tape to the bottom of the clock.  My photo is matted with papers from the 'Precious' line & I've added more spiral flowers along the bottom side of the photo to decorate it.

Supplies: Clock - Tim Holtz, Dies - La-La Land Crafts, Die-namics, Memory Box, Tim Holtz, Paint - Martha Stewart, Shimmerz, Ribbon - May Arts, Hardware - Tim Holtz, Embellishments - Tim Holtz, Other: Mini Wooden Frame, Flocked Teddy Bear

Hope this inspires some of you to experiment with different elements.  Take care & enjoy the rest of the week!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very much appreciated. Thank you for stopping by!